Skip to main content

Archaeological Museum of Chalkis

 

The Archaeological Museum of Chalkis housed in a building from the early 20th century. and brings together findings from all over the island of Evia. The basis of neoclassical buildings have ashlar in the polygonal system, while the corners are also reinforced with ashlar masonry. Above the main entrance and is open pediment keramoskeptasto. The building has a large courtyard and three rooms, where the exhibits are presented. The building belongs to the Greek state and was revamped to accommodate the Euboean antiquities.   The exhibits are placed chronologically from the Paleolithic to the Late Roman period and from excavations in Evia. The exhibition features collections of finds from the settlement and cemetery of Manika (2800 - 1900 BC) Mycenaean pottery and figurines, collecting Euboean Economou, koroplastiki Boeotian pottery, a collection of classical and Hellenistic coins from Chalkis Eretria and Karystos, Roman votive sculptures from Chalkis and Evia, funerary monuments from Chalkis new Lampsacus and honorary resolutions. In the courtyard of the museum contained resolutions, funerary monuments and Roman sculptures. From the stand exhibits a seated female statue of the fourth century. BC marble funerary stele depicting a dog and a new (second quarter of 4th century BC.), commemorative stele depicting Dionysus and Pluto (in the 4th century BC.), statue of Antinoos (second century AD.), a headless statue of Apollo or Dionysus (Roman copy), Hellenistic female statue heads and two Bronze Kouros Archaic Period.   Visitors begin the tour by the Museum courtyard, where he meets funerary monuments. In one gallery (Gallery A) exhibited resolutions, votive inscriptions and racing. In the course of three classrooms to answer a imiykliki podium with honorary resolutions. The central courtyard of the museum contains architectural elements from the city of Chalkis. The next stop before entering the halls are in the Stoa B, where you can see inscriptions and statues of the Roman era. From all these sculptures stand a statue of Cybele or Demeter, which dates to the 4th century. BC horses and three busts of late Classical period.   The three halls of the Museum's permanent exhibition of artifacts are classified chronologically, so that visitors can take an overall view of the ancient Euboea. The first room presents Paleolithic and Neolithic pottery tools from various parts of Evia, pottery from Hose (2800 - 1900 BC) and from Aliveri (1900 - 1650 BC), Geometric and Geometric pottery from Chalcis ( 1050 - 700 BC) and small objects and imitations of Cycladic pottery and such laboratories by Euboean predisposes the visitor of the early art of Evia.   In the second room the visitor is confronted with the miniaturization koroplastiki, plastic and ceramics from the Archaic to the Roman era. Two heads stand out kouros (mid 6th century BC.), Two trunks kouros from the area of ​​Chalkis and Eretria (late 6th century BC.), Three female statues dedicated to Artemis (fourth century. Q . BC) and Classical era tombstones and a votive relief with Pluto and Dionysus (4th century BC.)   The third room is dedicated solely to the large plastic. Statues of Dionysos or Apollo (first century BC.), The Polydefkiona student of Herodes Atticus (2nd century AD.) Column from Larymna sacrifice in Boeotia and another depicting Dionysus and a bronze tripod with a dedication to Apollo give another dimension to the Museum and provide important information on the evolution of art in Evia, an island played a special role in political and historical events in Greece. The Archaeological Museum of Chalkis supervised by K. Ephorate Poristorikon Ephorate and Classical.
Archaeological Museum of Chalkis, Evia
Archaeological Museum of Chalkis, Evia

History

 

The Archaeological Museum of Chalkis housed in a neoclassical building, which belongs to the State Street Venizelou 13. The building was completed in 1901-02, became operational in 1902 and is the architect Lykaki study. Its present form was the exhibition of the Museum since 1990, with the responsibility of the then Registrar, Mr. E.. Sapouna-Sakellaraki. The number of finds were uncovered in Chalkis, in the wider region and in other places on the island were the cause of establishing an archaeological museum in the city, which would house artifacts from all over the island of Evia and give an insight into the historical, political and social evolution of the island.   The exhibition was organized in such a way that on the one hand to outline the history of the island and the other to highlight particular themes of ancient monuments entities that are particularly instructive for the visitor. In the courtyard presented funerary monuments, resolutions, and architectural sculptures Classic, Hellenists and Roman times. The three halls of the museum there is a chronological classification of cabinets and ektethimenon objects starting from the Paleolithic Age (ca. 100000 BC) and ends in Roman times. Visual material with informational tables and photos epixigoun findings and better inform visitors about the historical development of the island. On the right room of the museum presents the findings from the Stone Age until the Geometric Period. The left room continues the tour of the visitor to the island's history with exhibits from the Archaic to the Roman era. The central hall is devoted to large plastic Classical, Hellenistic and Roman times especially, who sets the tone of Evian art in this field.   The number of findings from the ongoing excavation of the local Inspectorate ordered the reorganization of the report, presented to the public in 1990. A decade ago the building of the museum had to be repaired after the earthquake of 1980-81. It also was determined and the yard with the use of two storage sheds and green space in order to relieve congestion on the main hall could not accommodate most other findings.

Πρόσβαση

Διεύθυνση:  Ελ.Βενιζέλου 13, Χαλκίδα

Τηλέφωνα: 22210 25131, 76131

Average: 4 (1 vote)